Answers To Common Questions About Car Accidents In North Carolina
One of our most important responsibilities as personal injury attorneys in Alexander County is to answer questions from clients and potential clients. Bring your concerns to your initial consultation, and keep asking questions once you decide to entrust your case to us.
What should I do after a car accident?
- If your wreck is just a fender bender and you can move the vehicles out of the lanes of traffic, you must do so or you could be fined.
- If your crash is too severe for you to be able to get the car out of the road or off the highway, take any emergency measures that you can to prevent being injured in a second crash.
- Call 911 and be ready to give basic information to the first responders, such as police, emergency medical technicians (EMTs) or firetruck personnel.
- Render aid to any injured person if you can do so safely (such as stopping bleeding).
- Do not express your opinion about fault or submit to detailed interrogation by any investigator.
- Take photos, get eyewitnesses’ contact information and make a note of road conditions while your memories are fresh.
- Report your accident to your insurance company but do not take part in detailed questioning without legal advice.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney to request a free consultation as soon as possible.
Does fault matter when it comes to collecting compensation?
Yes. In North Carolina, an insurance company can deny claims based on fault. However, this state also has laws about contributory negligence that you need to be aware of. If you made a mistake that contributed to your injuries – even though another driver was mostly at fault – your compensation may be reduced accordingly.
What if I was injured and another driver was at fault but is uninsured?
North Carolina requires uninsured motorist (UM) coverage to be included in auto insurance policies. You may be able to collect compensation from your own insurer through your UM coverage. A skilled attorney’s representation can help you gain access to this resource with minimal delay.
How Can I Get Answers To My Car Accident Questions?
Our personal injury lawyers are ready to advise you during your free initial consultation. Call 828-600-7462 or send an email inquiry to request a meeting with an attorney.